Wednesday 7 November 2012

MY VENICE

There are many beautiful cities and towns but Venice is not only beautiful, it is unique at the same time. No cars, not even one.
When I speak about it to my friends' younger children they are always amazed. They love the fact that it is so unusual, there are no cars, it is surrounded by water and you need to get a boat to get to school. I can read the bewilderment in their faces. They always ask me: did you have to get a boat every morning? I often reply: Yes, I had to unless I wanted to follow Lord Byron's example... They do not usually get the sarcastic comment...


I believe that Venice is very challenging to get to know or, let me put it another way, it is like a stranger and it takes a long time to get to know her properly. Like other cities you need to stay there for a while and come back to it many times in order to get to know the locals, their habits and their ways.

I think that the best way for a tourist to get to know Venice is not to follow the classic itinerary.
If It is your first visit in Venice, start with the real Venetian life rather than queing to get into a museum. If I go with a friend who has never been, I would probably start from Giardini, walking through Via Garibaldi to the church of San Pietro. I love the scenes of authentic Venetian life that you see in Via Garibaldi. People are chatting, shouting from a window to a friend, sharing a glass of wine at a very early time in the morning as a sort of unconventional breakfast, buying fruit and vegetables from the boat seller (my mum's cousin!), kids are running and playing, the laundry is drying hanging outside, it looks colourful, it smells nice and I have always found fascinating the fact that you can look up and try to guess who lives there...


Posted via DraftCraft app

No comments:

Post a Comment